This is a great meal option for someone who doesn't have much time to cook dinner. Steph and I love to use Betty Crocker Roasted Garlic Cheddar instant potatoes, Heinz Rich Mushroom gravy, and Yves meatless ground beef for this vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie. The flavored potatoes and gravy bring a range of tastes to the dish; using the meatless ground beef makes the meal healthier and quicker to prepare (since the product is pre-cooked). You can experiment with what ever flavors you prefer.
Ingredients (serves 2-4)
One box (7.2 oz.) Instant Mashed Potatoes
1 1/4 cups Milk
3/4 cup hot water
2 tablespoons Margarine/Butter
One can (15.25 oz.) Whole Kernel Corn, drained
One jar (12 oz.) Gravy
One package (12 oz.) Meatless Ground Meat
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare instant potatoes as directed on box:
- Heat milk, hot water and margarine to a rapid boil in a 2-quart saucepan (watch carefully to avoid boil-over)
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1 pouch potatoes with seasoning until well blended.
- Let stand about 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed.
4. Grease 8" X 8" casserole dish and lay down a layer of mashed potatoes, using about half of the prepared portions. Next fill the dish with a layer of the ground beef and gravy mixture.
5. Layer the corn on top, then cover the whole mixture with the remaining potatoes.
6. Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes begins to brown. Let cool before serving.